Health & Safety
AlphaGary UK is certified to OHSAS 18001:2007 based on a satisfactory audit process on our mature system through BSI. Certificate was first awarded mid-2006 and has just been renewed for another three-year audit cycle to 2018.
In 2013, Mexichem embarked on a project to improve the overall safety record of the group. With the help of DNV GL - an international certification body and classification society, which was created as a result of a high-profile 2013 merger between two leading companies in the field; Det Norske Veritas (Norway) and Germanischer Lloyd (Germany).
Based on the bestselling book by Frank Bird, The International Sustainability Rating System (ISRS) was established. This system has been in place for thirty years and has become a global benchmark for excellent in safety management in thousands of organizations.
The system has twenty elements of which there are 10 levels. To attain a certain level, a number of elements must be completed to a certain ‘pass mark’. In the first wave of training in Mexico City, 20 plants were set a target of Level 7 to be completed in two years.
In March 2015, AlphaGary UK became the fifth Mexichem facility to achieve an ISRS level, and the first to achieve Level 8 putting us in the top 10% of all organisations who have achieved an ISRS level.
AlphaGary MA and AlphaGary NC are currently in the certification process.
Our production facility in the United Kigndom is certified to ISO14001:2004. This has been in place since November 2009.
As a business we have achieved zero landfill and have maintained this since November 2010. The Waste (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 also ensures that there is a hierarchy to waste disposal, and AlphaGary Limited are committed to the requirements of this regulation. All general waste is sorted at source for recyclables and the remainder is sent for burning to created energy (RDF – Refuse derived fuel). Emissions in regard to CO2 have seen a 16% decrease since 2009 through various initiatives such as:
- Improved utilisation
- Right first time improvements
- Plant shut down and 'tick over' principle
- Motor upgrades
- Screen changers
Energy usage too, has decreased significantly since 2008 again through similar initiatives. These initiatives have seen an 18% decrease in energy reliance.
At our facility in Massachusetts:
- AlphaGary eliminated the processing of lead stabilizers as of December 2010
- All waste diverted from landfill as of November 2013
At our facility in North Carolina:
- Over 6,000 lbs. of corrugated material diverted from landfill in 2014
- 43,000 lb. of potential dust emissions captured and recycled in 2014
- 17% reduction in water usage (2013 to 2014)
- Eliminated the use of decabromodiphenyl oxide in January 2012
- 8% reduction in the use of di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate from 2013 to 2014
- Members of the North Carolina Air Awareness Coalition, whose charter is to reduce ground level ozone in the Charlotte Mecklenburg region